OpenMediaVault (OMV) is an open-source network-attached storage (NAS) solution that can be used to manage and share data across a network. With OMV, users can easily create network shares that allow multiple users to access and edit files, folders, and media content. In this article, we will provide step-by-step instructions on how to create a network share in OMV.
Step 1: Install OpenMediaVault
The first step in creating a network share in OMV is to install the software on a suitable computer or server. OMV can be downloaded from the official website and installed on a wide range of hardware, including Raspberry Pi boards, x86-based systems, and ARM devices.
Step 2: Create a Shared Folder
Once OMV is installed, the next step is to create a shared folder. A shared folder is a directory on the system that is accessible to other users on the network. To create a shared folder in OMV, follow these steps:
- Open the OMV web interface by entering the IP address of the OMV system into a web browser.
- Click on the “Access Rights Management” menu on the left-hand side of the interface.
- Click on the “Shared Folders” menu and then click on the “Add” button.
- Enter a name for the shared folder and select the path where the folder will be located.
- Choose the permissions for the shared folder, including who can read, write, and execute files within the folder.
- Click “Save” to create the shared folder.
Step 3: Configure the Network Share
After creating the shared folder, the next step is to configure the network share. To do this, follow these steps:
- Click on the “Services” menu in the OMV web interface.
- Select the “SMB/CIFS” service and click on the “Enable” button.
- Click on the “Shares” tab and then click on the “Add” button.
- Select the shared folder you created in step 2 and configure the settings for the network share, including the name of the share, the description, and the permissions.
- Click “Save” to create the network share.
Step 4: Access the Network Share
Once the network share is created, users can access it from other devices on the network. To access the network share, follow these steps:
- Open the file manager on the device you want to use to access the network share.
- Enter the network address of the OMV system, followed by the name of the network share (e.g., \192.168.0.100\sharedfolder).
- Enter your username and password when prompted.
- Once authenticated, you will be able to access the files and folders within the network share.
Creating a network share in OpenMediaVault is a straightforward process that can be accomplished in just a few steps. By following the instructions provided in this article, users can easily share data and media content across a network, improving collaboration and productivity. OMV is a versatile and powerful NAS solution that offers a wide range of features and functions, making it an ideal choice for small businesses and home users alike.